Wednesday 7 October 2015

Grand Designer

After the feedback I got after the presentation I decided to check out Grand Designer to create the planet I would need for my scene and I have to say it is a very powerful tool. After about 10-15 minutes I created a planet, the link to a quick video is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSZdHO60Sg

This impressed me very much but unfortunately I reset it by accident. This is where I found that I couldn't reload the preset I made of it. Every time I tried to reload it, it wouldn't. I have no idea why.
This was frustrating however not as frustrating as the fact that I can't export the planet as an FBX file, only a Unity file or UE4 project. The problem for these are Unity won't export as an FBX or OBJ file. I found a work around for this by adding a section of code into the project file but this didn't work. Neither did UE4 which refused to open the file for what I suspect to be an engine build conflict with the exported file and the build I have installed. It would be very useful if I could export it to FBX as my planet has rings on it and it would be hard to get right if I were to make it in Maya. I can export the textures but as they render out as PBR they looked a little funny in Maya, as I intend to do my final render using Maya software.
This is a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand the software is very powerful, easy to use and gives some really fantastic results and on the other it is impossible to get the finished model into Maya where it is needed. As I have a spherical plant this isn't a massive problem but I also added rings too it which I really do need and if I wanted asteroids in my scene I really would need to export them into Maya. More research will definitely be needed on this and I will hopefully find a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment