Sunday 27 September 2015

Starting ideas

Over the summer break I decided to keep my modeling skills sharp by doing some modeling of things I really really enjoy. I had 3 models that have already been finished and UV'd from games and T.V. The first model I worked on was a personal favorite of mine and something I thoroughly enjoyed working on, this was the X1-Alpha robot from the little known hidden gem Future Cop L.A.P.D. This gave me lots of hard surface modeling experience which I have applied to other models. The second model I chose was a Prometheus class starship from Star Trek. This model featured the ship itself in a cage like shipyard with work bees and shuttle craft flying around. This was a rather large model with lots of intricate parts  and some interesting geometry connecting the saucer section to the engineering hull which proved to be a challenge to get the geometry looking right. The final model I decided to make was an ADF-10 Falken from the game Ace Combat: Assault Horizons Legacy on the 3DS.  I had recently gotten back into playing Assault Horizons and wanted to recreate one of my favored planes and also practice my high poly modeling skills, something I had neglected to work on as I found it confusing and it seemed like a waste of time to me. Nevertheless I did manage to make a high poly version of it with some success.

These are just ideas for my project but it would seem like these are good options as all models are finished bar some refinement and texturing and it would save me a lot of time and searching for ideas.

One idea I had before I realised that my 'pre-made' models were an option was to re create Commander Shepard's apartment from the Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC and possibly to take some artistic license and add some features from some of the concept art which I felt would have been a much better idea to include in the finished model. While this would have been a nice idea it is much more geared towards environment  rather than vehicle or prop modeling which I feel is where my strengths lie. However it is a game I am very passionate about, the Citadel DLC more than most so I might be able to pull it off through my sheer passion to get it done right.

This is a brief summary of my ideas but I will create an individual post for each one to go into much more depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment