Thursday 3 December 2015

The latest show reel

After lots of hours banging my head against various walls trying to get what I wanted I have finally succeeded. I first made a warp flash effect in After Effects which turned out quite nicely however as the lens flare effect I used as a base take sup the whole scene shrinking it down gives hard edges from where the scene border was. I'm going to try to find some way to blend the edges so it looks less silly. After that I tried to get my engines to glow. I decided to have them pre glowing for my scene and my aim in After Effects was to make them just glow more before it warped away.  I managed to do this and it was very effective so I decided to try and go one better and get it to power up from the start. This was less effective as I started with the engines black so in order to get the glow effect to work I had to work with the Alpha channel, which turned all the scenes completely blue apart from the bit which were cut out using the Roto brush tool so I decided to abandon that. While trying to come up with other ways to get around this problem Jason mentioned that I should render out a scene with black engines, one with glowing engines then blend the two together in Sony Vegas. Once the timing was solved this proved to work perfectly and I managed to use this method to power up the engines from black to blue, get the impulse engines to start glowing and have the warp engines glow intensely before warping away. For me this is perfect as it is exactly what I was trying to do in UE4 but failed but now I have finally managed to salvage about 90% of the final idea and that has made me very happy. I'm going to re do the warp flash effect and try to soften the edges as well as try to make it look more cinematic using filters but only if I can find tutorials with results I like the look of but on the whole I would say I am very nearly finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LwX2ihGO7A&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment